Saturday, March 30, 2013

Thoughts on Easter

A few years ago I went shopping for small gifts for the children’s Easter baskets.  I bought a little board book about the life of Jesus, and each page had a simple illustration and a summary of a story from Jesus’s ministry on earth.  But I was sad when I got to the Easter page.  It said Easter was the time we remember the death of Jesus.  I am a Christian, but I didn't understand why this book would teach something I believe is false doctrine.

A few weeks ago I heard a knock at the door.  I stopped ironing the shirt I was working on and went to answer the door, expecting to see one of the neighborhood kids asking to play with my children.  I found two nicely-dressed women, and they gave me an invitation to attend an Easter event at their church.  I accepted it graciously and I thanked them for their time, because I know why they do what they do.  Before they left, the older woman said they were extending this invitation to everyone because we were commanded by Jesus to remember the anniversary of His death.  I thanked her again and shut the door.

The anniversary of His death, I thought.  Do I remember the anniversary of His death?  The idea made me confused.  Then I realized I do not, because it is not something I remember once a year.  Every week at church I partake of the sacrament in remembrance of His body and His blood and His atonement for my sins.  Every week I recommit to be obedient and more like Him.  I remember His sacrifice for me every single week.  I do not know if this church has a similar communion or sacrament.

While I appreciate the invitation these ladies extended to me and their love of the Savior that drove them to knock on my door, I felt sorry.  They are spending this beautiful Easter season remembering the death of our Savior.  I know my Savior died for me, but most importantly, he lives.  HE LIVES!  How can those two words not flood one’s heart with inexpressible joy?  His death was paramount to fulfilling the Father’s Plan of Salvation, but HE LIVES!  He conquered death, that’s the point to remember at Easter.  Easter is about joy, not sorrow.  Easter is about life eternal, not the end of mortal existence.  HE LIVES!  He is alive today and is overseeing the building of His kingdom on earth.  He loves me in a manner I cannot fathom.  I love Him, and I try every day to be a “profitable servant.”  I pray for opportunities to cross my path where I can do my little part in this “marvelous work.”  And I do it because HE LIVES and I shall see Him again.  His death was but a mere three days, a half-tick of the second hand of Heavenly Father’s clock of endless eternity.  It is my testimony that HE LIVES in eternal splendor, glory, and love.

No comments: