Tuesday, March 19, 2013

That's nice, dear.

Before you read any further, I feel I must issue a warning.  The following things I write are fueled by personal sentiments and passionate feelings.  I do not wish to offend or alienate any of my friends or family who read this.  I do not wish to injure, but my feelings are so strong that I felt I must express them.  If you do not like my words, let's agree to disagree on this issue and remain friends.

Last night I found the following article on Facebook, and this morning I found it reposted by other friends.  The headline reads "April Mormon conference may make history:  women will pray."  Sub-headline:  "Female Mormons set to pray in April, breaking new ground for church."

My reaction?  "Well, that's nice.  So?"

Apparently there's a feeling of discord among a portion of the membership of the Church that feel women are not treated equally in the Church.  This isn't news to me.  I think I remember reading about this petition sent to Church leaders some months back requesting women be treated more equally by being allowed to pray in general conference.  I didn't even realize women never prayed in conference until I read of this petition.  And even after I became aware of that detail, my reaction was much the same--so what?

I guess it's a fundamental difference between myself and the people behind this prayers-for-women movement.  Based on our different backgrounds and experiences, the people behind this movement feel strongly that women not praying in conference somehow displays repression of women in the Church.  Based on my experience and background, I disagree.  I have never once in my life felt like a lesser member of the gospel because of my gender.  Females and males play different roles in the Church, of course.  But I've never felt threatened or oppressed because my roles are different from that of the men.  Not one tiny bit deep down in my soul that I'm trying to smother so I don't come across as a free-thinking woman.  

I actually find this prayers-for-women movement disturbing.  Because I know the people who want "equality" in the Church want more than prayers.  They want to change the way the Lord has structured the Church in deeply fundamental ways.  I have read a total of two comments in reaction to this prayers article, and one reader said he felt within 10 years' time women would be holders of the priesthood, and another one said, "finally!"  It just makes my heart ache, and it's hard to express why.  No, I don't think members of the Church should keep their mouths shut and not make waves if they feel strongly about something.  But we're here on earth to mold our will to the will of the Father, not ask the leadership of the Church to alter the affairs of the Church to make it function more like an organization of the world.  The Lord never has and never will do things the way the world does things.  Yes, things change.  Men of African descent received the priesthood, and just in December the Church drastically altered its stance on homosexuality.  These things are good things, and I believe inspired to happen when the Lord wanted them to happen.

But when I hear members grumbling about gays not being married in the temple or women not holding the priesthood, I'm saddened.  They think the Church is old-fashioned and not keeping up with the times.  That's just not the case.  Some things adjust to keep up with culture, but never will the doctrine of the gospel change to satisfy the worldly trends.

It's a God-given right to express ourselves, as I am now.  But remember this, things will only change if it's the Lord's will to have them change.  This I firmly believe in.  Genuinely, I believe if the membership of the Church will pray for its leadership in following the Lord's path for the Church, that's the only thing we need to keep ourselves on course.  The Church does not care about making itself popular.  Yes, they have a strong PR department; I'm not ignorant that the Church does what it can to make itself marketable.  But when it comes to the core values of Christ's gospel, these things will not be swayed by the influence of man.  His ways are not man's ways.  People who seek to alter the ways of the gospel to make it fit the world's definition of "equal" will only end up frustrated.  Instead we would be happier to look inward and ask how we can change our hearts, to submit ourselves to the Lord in humility and ask what we can do to build up His kingdom.  I have found more joy in life by having faith in obedience than I ever could if I demanded the system change to make me happy.

When I think of the Church, I see Samuel the Lamanite.  If you're not familiar with this story, you can read it here.  He stood atop the wall and arrows of those who hated his message flew at him, but he stood firm and delivered his message.  The Church will stand firm, and it doesn't matter how many arrows are shot at it.  The Church will not diminish and it will continue to stand firm until the Lord's work on earth is fulfilled.

6 comments:

D'Neill said...

Well said!!! I believe Satan is working in ways we can't even wrap our brain around. He's so sneaky - like planting a little seed of thought like "you are right! Women aren't created equal in this church" and then watches more people leave the church. Our testimonies are being tested and they don't realize it!

The G-5+2 said...

Those are words I wish I could have written. I might share if you don't mind. I have never felt as though I am less but that I am more special/sacred as a woman.

Jillian said...

Thanks Amy, I thought what you wrote was very well put and it said what I would have.

Angela said...

wonderfully put.


Elder Richey said...

This is a really great post, Amy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Methinks you truly are a writer. :)

k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.