I'm blogging and pinning my mom's recipe. I know I have a nicely typed version of this recipe somewhere, but whenever I want to make these cookies I always end up with the hand-written, scratched out, rewritten version of the recipe. So for ONCE and for ALL, so I can ALWAYS find a legible copy of it (and share it with people), here. it. is.
This is the recipe that defines my childhood. Christmas could never be Christmas without at least one batch of these cookies during December. The cookies and the dough take me back to a very euphoric place every time I consume them. I'm making them this week for a preschool activity, but I cannot tell you how eager I am to let a little piece of the dough rest on my tongue for a bit. It'll be like when I was little and Mom would hug and tell me everything would be okay. These cookies are that good.
Mom's Sugar Cookies
Beat 8 eggs with 1/4 c. milk.
Creme 2 c. shortening with 4 c. sugar.
Combine 5 c. flour, 2 t. baking powder, 1 t. salt, and 3 t. nutmeg with shortening and sugar.
Beat well with egg mixture.
Stir in 5 c. more flour by hand.
Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick, cut with cutters.
Back at 400* 8-10 minutes.
Remove to cooling rack while still hot.
No comments:
Post a Comment