Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Edumacation


I've had a hankering lately go back to school, sort of.  I did NOT want anything like a second bachelor's or a master's degree.  Those would be too expensive and require too much commitment.  After a lot of online searching I found that I could take online continuing education classes through a local community college.  The courses are just six weeks long, and there are two lessons each week.  Students receive a certificate of completion when you take the final.  Each class is less than $100.  I thought that was a good value for a class that I could work into my own schedule.  The array of classes offered through this program are dizzying.  I don't think I could complete all of them in my lifetime!

My first class I completed was called Beginning Writer's Workshop.  Each Wednesday and Friday a new lesson was posted.  I had two weeks to complete each assignment.  The assignments weren't graded, but I received feedback from fellow students and the instructor, which was helpful in the whole writing process.  I could save all the lessons onto my computer, which will be great reference in the future.  

Our final assignment was a creative writing piece that was 500 words or less.  It could be from any genre of writing.  I'm waiting for the instructor to critique my piece.  When she does I'll be sure to post my story and her critique (along with other student feedback) when she posts it.

This class was an enjoyable and fulfilling experience.  I hope I can enroll in another writing class this summer!


1 comment:

Micaela said...

Yay for continuing education! :)