Ladies and Gentlemen,
I'm announcing that I believe I am following in the footsteps of many before me, individuals who started a quest with one goal in mind, and along the path, made amazing and surprising discoveries. Let me share mine with you.
Three months ago I posted that I was endeavoring to lose 20 unwanted baby pounds before my 30th birthday, which will be on July 7th. Netflix and counting calories were going to be my tools to achieving this goal.
Three months into my plan, I was still annoyingly hovering at 20 lbs more than I wanted to weigh. I was still diligent in exercising--I'm still very fond of Netflix and these past months have allowed me to try a variety of at-home exercise programs and hone in on my favorites that give me a variety that keeps me happy. Ellen Barrett is my super-hero. I've been working out 4-5 mornings a week and I've been surprised by the results I've gleaned in toning.
But those 20 lbs are still there.
No arguments about "muscle weighs more than fat," please. It's been three months. I should either be ripped like a body builder or skinny like Twiggy. I was consuming fewer calories and often hungry, believing in my heart that that fat will start melting off any second. Those 20 lbs speak volumes.
Then my husband saw the doctor for his routine examination to monitor his hypertension and high cholesterol. The blood sugar result was not good, especially considering he came into the visit fasting. I posted on facebook for recommendations from friends for specific foods/recipes to reduce hypertension and high cholesterol and high blood sugar. One insightful friend suggested reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. I went to amazon and bought this book, along with "Prediabetes for Dummies." I was 50 cents under qualifying for free shipping, so I bought another book by Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat, and What To Do About It."
I'm not sure why, but I read "Why We Get Fat" first. Its arguments persuaded me to try an experiment. I would try the advice therein. I have convinced my husband to try the experiment with me for one month. We began on Labor Day.
I'm not here to say the Gospel of Taubes of the Red Book is for everyone. I cannot say it is undeniable truth. All I have is my experiences from the past week to compare to my experiences of the past 3 months. Here's what's happened:
I've been eating a lot, a lot of my favorite foods. I've never experienced prolonged hunger pains (just the hunger pains that persist while you're fixing dinner and you wonder why you didn't start preparing it an hour earlier). And the results of the experiment of the past week: I am 4 pounds lighter. Four pounds...it's not very much. However, when you compare four pounds in one week versus zero pounds in three months, it seems a staggering amount. And a very satisfying amount, too.
I'm not trying to promote a health plan or diet or gimmick. And I'm not saying you're dumb, I'm smart or I'm right, you're wrong. I'm just saying what's happened to me and what's happened to me is WOW.
I'm going to fulfill our experiment and finish the month on this plan. My hypothesis is that one, my weight loss won't be as rapid (although, it'd be stinkin' rad if it did), and two, my weight loss will continue. I sure hope I can reach that 20 lbs goal, certianly after July 7th.
Derek has also seen benefits--he lost 5 pounds this week.
I'm still exercising! This is something I NEVER thought I'd say in my lifetime, but I love it! It's a great invigorator and jump-start to my day. I love how I feel when I do it. I feel like I've achieved a big goal each and every time I do it. Derek and I even have plans to participate in a 5k sometime in the near future.
And that is the summary of the unexpected discoveries I've found while persuing my original goal.
In approximately one month, on/near/around my 30th birthday, I shall write a conclusion to my '20 before 30' journey. Happy summer, everybody!!!

1 comment:
That's awesome that it's working so well for you guys! I'm really happy for you!
Post a Comment