This week I started a new summer chore regimen with Alayna and Isaac. I decided to write jobs the kids can do on popsicle sticks and they're divided and color-coded by areas of the house. They have to do 5 sticks each day plus one specific task in their bedroom before they can play outside, watch TV, play computer, or see friends. If they complete that for a week then they get a reward--this week they'll get to pick out where we go to dinner this weekend (bet you pretty much anything it'll be McD's). They'll get to help pick a reward for the 2nd and 4th week. Then we'll start it all over again, probably upping the daily chores a bit and spacing out rewards more.
What I love about this is it's finite--the kids pick the chores and they can chose what areas of the house to work in by the color on the sticks. When they're done, they replace it upside-down so we don't repeat anything too often. Seeing five jobs in front of them and counting them down makes them feel good about themselves and it's not overwhelming. I even have 3 "Maren's Sticks" in the cup so she thinks she's participating. It's also great because every day I think of a few more sticks I can add to the cup. They're the little things that get neglected forever but I think about doing everytime I see it; like sanitizing lightswitches, doorknobs, telephones; wiping fingerprints off the dining chairs; wiping off the appliances in the kitchen.
We've only done it three days and I'm sure the thrill will wear off soon. But it'll be their routine the entire summer, and hopefully in 5-ish weeks when Baby Girl comes it'll be so routine there won't be much resistance since they know what's expected of them. And it'll make my life so much easier since I know many of the little things will be taken care of even if I'm nursing a baby 24/7.
So, there you go. I just felt like sharing my new project. I also love it because it was really cheap to throw together...some popsicle sticks, Sharpies, a cup, and some spreadsheets to track progress. What's not to love?


2 comments:
What a fabulous idea!!
Um, I NEED to live closer to you now, so you can help teach me stuff like this... That's a great idea! I so need to get my kids started on chores period. :P
Post a Comment