Wednesday, August 26, 2009

She's baaaaaaaaaaaaack

Isaac and I went to wait for Alayna by the bike rack at school--boy, it's hot! But I'll try to enjoy it because sooner rather than later my giblets will be frozen. Anyway, when we found each other I customarily asked her how her day was. The first words out of her mouth were, "Guess what! Music class!" Apparently the music room and teacher made an impression on her. Then she expounded on coloring, recess, rug time, and lunch. My bad, I forgot to send a snack with her. Looks like I'll be stock-piling things like Gogurts, string cheese, raisins, and the like to compensate for her small tummy and an early lunch slot. As soon as she walked in the door she wanted to be read to--I guess the teacher is really pushing "Reading At Home," which is fantastic. We read nearly every day anyway, but all Alayna wanted was a snack and to be read to. She was disappointed to remember she doesn't have school again until Friday. She said she doesn't want me to walk her there or pick her up anymore. Then she remembered her sling and wondered who would help with her breakfast if I didn't take her, so we compromised by agreeing I'd take her to breakfast until her arm was out of the sling. It's a bit strange being dismissed like that, but that's part of growing up--for both of us!--I guess. There was one sad part of the day, she told me. After breakfast they play until time for class, and I told her to leave her backpack at her class's line-up spot while she played on the playground. She thought she left it somewhere else and got a little teary thinking she'd lost her backpack. Poor dear; that part of the story made me want to shelter her and not let anything else make her sad, but she seemed unphased by it, as a teacher came when she saw Alayna was distressed and helped her find her bag, which was exactly in the spot where it was supposed to be.

We've definitely opened up a new chapter in our lives. I wonder how long the newness will last and when it'll feel like routine to send my daughter out the door on her own for seven hours every school day. Maren definitely missed her, and when Maren got up from her nap and found Alayna was home she was obviously gleeful to see her sister home again.

Tomorrow we all go to the doctor to check up on Alayna's elbow. Cross your fingers we can graduate from the sling soon.

No comments: