Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Meanest Mom

At lunch today, the kids wanted chocolate milk.  While mixing up their chocolaty beverages, Isaac asked why chocolate milk is so sugary.  I explained that plain, regular chocolate is actually very bitter and sugar has to be added to make people want to eat it and turn chocolateering into a bazillion dollar industry.  Then the bright idea struck me to let them try unsweetened chocolate.  I took a square of my unsweetened baking chocolate and chopped it into tiny bits, letting them each try one.  These were small pieces, smaller than my pinkie fingernail.  Oh, I wish I had the camera when they tried it!  Think back to those bitter beer face commercials from the 90s (search YouTube if your memory's not that good or if you are too young to know what bitter beer face is).  Or the last few seconds of Kid History Episode 6 (7:20) when the hot guy retches out the green smoothie.  Some kind of combination of those expressions would properly sum up the kids' reactions to eating a crumb of unsweetened chocolate.  It was a great way to wrap up summer break.

No comments: