I may or may not have been catching up on my turns in several games of Words With Friends when my 2-year-old approached me and said, "Wash hands, Mom, wash hands." My brain was distracted from the best way to use that Triple Word space by the sight before me: a little girl with a sheen of brown sticky something coating her face and hands, with patches of blue and red popping out of the brown. My first instinct was, "I'm a horrible mother for neglecting my toddler while I indulge in my own personal pleasurable past-times." My second instinct was "CHOCOLATE?! There's chocolate in this house and I didn't know about it??"
I asked Kristen to show me where she found the candy. But after many attempts and altering the form of the inquiry, I realized she wasn't going to own up to where she found the candy and I would have to take matters into my own hands and find it myself. It didn't take long to find--I went downstairs and spied the bag of trail mix on the kitchen table. Trail mix! Of course! The girls had been enjoying trail mix during morning snack time and it never was returned to the pantry (surprise, surprise). Kristen had delicately picked out most of the mock M&Ms. I can't help but admit when I found these little golden nuggets of tastiness hidden midst the less appealing raisins and peanuts I devoured a good dozen or so of them myself (pretty much all the chocolate pieces I could find). Then I got a tummy ache. Darned processed confections!
Thus proceed the adventures of mommy at home with two little girls. Mommy is used to having an 8- and 6-year-old help being her eyes and ears around the house and alerting her when such mischief as the chocolate snatching is taking place. I guess Words With Friends will just have to wait until nap time, or make sure the trail mix is put away after snack time.
No comments:
Post a Comment