Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Tail of the Rat

When I was in junior high I ordered a book from the Scholastic book order form about the Black Plague. When it was delivered it came with a black rubber rat. Someone in my family became inspired to hide the rat in the house so it could startle someone else when it was discovered. I was the only child at home at the time, and my parents and I had a great deal of fun hiding the rat over the years. This tradition continued on through me going to college, getting married, and moving to Idaho. Sometime this past year the black rat got lost. My dad called me recently and asked if I knew where the rat was and I admitted I didn't have an inkling as to the rat's whereabouts.

Well, my dad was in Boise last Friday evening and we had him over for dinner and a few hours of play with the grandkids. We had a great time and I wish it could have been longer. Fast forward to this evening when I was making dinner. I thought some strawberry Jell-o with real strawberries in it would make a nice treat for the evening. I went into my freezer in the garage to get some strawberries I had frozen over the summer, when I saw something foreign to my freezer staring me in the eyes. A white plastic rat in a quart-sized ziplock bag was staring at me from next to my frozen corn. I startled and gasped, "oh!" then burst out into peals of laughter. The kids could hear me laughing and wanted to know what was going on out in the garage that was so funny (especially since it's below freezing out in the garage). But I was too busy grabbing my cell phone to call my dad. We were laughing together on the phone when I told him I literally jumped when I found our new white friend. When I got off the phone my kids wanted to know what the big deal about this plastic white rat was all about. I told them the story as I molded meatballs and they immediately wanted to get in on the action. They decided to hide the rat in Daddy's underwear so when he pulled out a fresh pair in the morning he'd have a white, plastic surprise waiting for him.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

4 comments:

Hillary said...

lol!!! You HAVE to post about his reaction!

Micaela said...

So cruel! lol! I'm shuddering right now just thinking about it... I totally forgot about the rat! Nice that your dad is helping you carry on the tradition. :) And yes, you'll have to post about his reaction! :)

Mary said...

I was wondering if your black rat could have ended up at our house. I had an unpleasent surprise of finding a black rat on top of my freezer. I was relieved it was only fake but have no idea how it got there!

Bonnie said...

No word on the surprise you left him that could only mean a couple of things. He hasn't changed underware or he can't see.