Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sous Chef

In case anyone hasn't heard the story yet, it goes something like this:

Derek had made repeated comments on how he loved to cook, and he thought he was good at it.

I didn't disagree with him, except for the fact his cooking typically encompasses breakfast food and grilling.  I challenged that if he were given a recipe he would be lost.

So he told me he was going to cook a 5-course meal for me on his day off last Friday.  I said I would be delighted to eat his meal.

He spent about 8 hours Friday preparing this feast, and I was gone most of the day so he really did do it by himself.  He even did the shopping.

We're not food bloggers, so if the food looks weird, get over it. We're just point-and-click in this house.

First course, dijon-basil devilled eggs (which when we ate we topped with sliced grape tomato).


 
Second course, spinach strawberry salad with sesame seed and poppy seed vinaigrette.


 
Main courses:  super delicious Italian meatballs and (I know I'm going to write this wrong) spaghetti carbonara.


 

Meatballs before cooking: 



Dessert:  white chocolate raspberry marbled cheesecake (he had a complication with the marbling process)


Everything was delicious, and he and I both learned lessons.  I learned Derek can indeed follow recipes and create an amazing meal.  Derek learned that it's harder than it looks and there's a lot of kitchen know-how that he wasn't aware of.

I welcomed him to cook for us one night every month from now on.  He wants us to cook together (hahaha). 

1 comment:

Melinda said...

The salad looks especially delicious! I had to laugh at the "marbling complication"